NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINEPARTNERS WITH GUY HARVEY OCEAN FOUNDATION TO HOST CONSERVATION CRUISE
~Guy Harvey to set sail on Norwegian Escape for a week-long conservation-themed cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on October 21, 2017
Cruise will feature the opportunity to meet Guy Harvey, live painting, talks from researchers with Nova Southeastern University’s Guy Harvey Research Institute on ocean conservation and shark research~
MIAMI – February 20, 2017– Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that the line is partnering with the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation (GHOF) and Nova Southeastern University’s (NSU) Guy Harvey Research Institute to host an ocean conservation-themed cruise on Norwegian Escape this fall. Departing October 21 from Miami, guests who sail on this unforgettable cruise will experience an exciting week of breathtaking tropical destinations, plus have the opportunity to meet world-renowned marine artist Guy Harvey and participate in exciting events revolving around ocean conservation and education, with the goal to foster a more sustainable future for our seas.
“Conservation and sustainability are bedrock values of Norwegian Cruise Line, and the opportunity to further educate guests on the importance of marine conservation to help ensure that future generations will enjoy and benefit from a naturally balanced ocean ecosystem is one that we are incredibly excited about,” said Norwegian Cruise Line President and CEO Andy Stuart. “Guy Harvey has been an incredible partner and his passion for our oceans is unmatched. We are thrilled to invite guests to join us onboard for this once-in-a-lifetime cruise.”
Guests who set sail on Norwegian Escape’s Cruising & Conservation sailing will have the opportunity to meet Guy Harvey and learn more about the GHOF’s efforts to conserve the marine environment, listen in on expert-led discussions about marine conservation and shark tagging and tracking – including the making of a shark documentary – enjoy live painting with Guy Harvey, and so much more. Each day of events will have a theme, from “Guy Harvey Day” to “Save our Sharks.” Key events will include:
- Brief History of Guy Harvey – Guy and Jessica Harvey
- Guy Harvey takes guests through a photo tour of his childhood in Jamaica and discusses how a marine biologist became one of the world’s foremost marine wildlife artists. Guy’s daughter Jessica tells tales about growing up on, and under, the water with her explorer father.
- Documenting Guy’s Expeditions – George Schellenger
- GHOF Videographer and Producer George Schellenger talks about life on the water with Guy Harvey, documenting Guy’s research and exploration expeditions. From hooking into 1,000-lb. marlin to fending off angry mako sharks, hear first-hand what it’s like to be the guy behind Guy.
- Introduction to Sharks – Mahmood Shivji
- Mahmood Shivji, a professor and research scientist from NSU’s Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography and the Director of NSU’s Guy Harvey Research Institute gives an introduction to sharks, highlighting the diversity of shark species, their unique biology that has made them successful species for millions of years, and the overfishing issues that are threatening their survival.
Those looking to get lucky in Norwegian Escape’s expansive casino can do so for a cause with a GHOF slot tournament, where the funds from the buy-in will benefit the foundation’s research and conservation initiatives. All attendees of the Cruising & Conservation sailing will also receive special edition Guy Harvey swag with exciting one-of-kind items including an exclusive special issue of the Guy Harvey Magazine.
Featuring Guy Harvey’s spectacular marine life artwork on her hull, Norwegian Escape is the largest ship in the Norwegian fleet, cruising each week to the Eastern Caribbean. Guests will set sail for tropical ports of call in St. Thomas, USVI; Tortola, BVI; and Nassau, Bahamas. Norwegian Escape features 27 dining options, 21 bars and lounges, and entertainment options to thrill cruisers of all ages with the largest Ropes Course at sea, the largest Aqua Park at sea, and dedicated adults-only and kids-only spaces including the brand’s first nursery offering supervised care for young cruisers ages six months to two years old. The ship’s headlining entertainment includes the Tony-Award winning Broadway musical After Midnight and 80s movie classic theatrical mash-up For The Record: The Brat Pack.
Space on the exclusive Guy Harvey Cruising & Conservation sailing is limited. Norwegian Escape offers a variety of flexible accommodations including Norwegian’s Studio staterooms designed and priced for solo travelers, family staterooms that accommodate up to four guests, and expansive suites in The Haven™, Norwegian’s ship-within-a-ship luxury suite complex featuring amenities including private butler and concierge service, exclusive restaurant and private pool, courtyard and sundeck.
For more details or to make a reservation, visit www.ncl.com/guyharvey. To book the Guy Harvey Conservation Cruise, call your travel professional or 877.397.1503 and reference ‘Conservation Cruise.’